Holiday Travel Tips for a Stress Free Journey
At the busiest travel time of the year, a little advice can go a long way in helping you navigate your journeys. Here are some tips you can take advantage of to help your travels remain stress-free through this busy time of year.
- Check-in online: Checking in online will help ensure great seat selection.
- Pack lightly: Most airlines have strict luggage policies these days, so be sure to check with your specific carrier, and bring only what you need to avoid extra fees.
- Ship gifts in advance: If you must carry gifts with you, be sure to leave them unwrapped for security purposes.
- Prepare the children: Make sure your children know their home address and telephone number. It is a good idea to set up a meeting place at the airport should you be separated. If they haven’t flown before, explain the security process so they’re not alarmed.
- Know your flight status: check online or call ahead to ensure your on-time departure and arrival.
- Go light on the liquids: Transport Canada and TSA in the U.S. restrict the amount of liquid you may bring on your carry-on to containers with a capacity of 100 ml/100 grams (3.4 oz.) or less that fit in a 1 liter (1 quart) plastic bag.
- Allow enough time: Get to the airport early to ensure you have enough time to get through security and to your gate.
- Be ready for security: Everyone can do their part to speed security lines. Remove belts, shoes and other items while you are waiting in line.
- Leave a paper trail: make photocopies of your passports, credit cards, and other IDs. Leave one copy with a relative at home and keep another copy with you, separate from your originals.
- Cover your bases: Ensure that you have adequate trip cancellation, interruptions and medical insurance while traveling.
Following these simple tips will help you ease through the busy airports during this time of year. Do you have any other tips or tricks to share?