To address the, “Can I change my flight?” question, here are some key details to look for:
- Review the existing ticket rules—is it refundable or non-refundable?
- Check your carrier’s change policy and related fees
- Evaluate their same-day confirmed option. If you’re changing to a similar flight within the same day, your flight may be able to be changed for a lower fee depending on the carrier’s restrictions
- Determine availability on the new flight
- Calculate the fare difference plus applicable change fee
- Look for alternative flights that may be available for a lower fare difference
Of course, I primarily work with business travelers—many of whom are frequent travelers—so that factors into the type of questions I receive.
After recently helping some family members book a leisure trip, I was reminded about how different their questions can be. These particular individuals travel very infrequently, and some of their questions were, ”Can I check a bag?”, “Where should I park my car?” or “Does that flight go out of the big airport?”
As you can see, travel-related questions can vary greatly. But as a travel counselor, if we do not know the answer to your question offhand, we can typically find it with some quick research.
What questions have you ever wanted to ask a travel counselor? Include them in the comments below, and we may address them in an upcoming post as part of our new “Ask a Travel Counselor” series!