The road to GBTA: Denver travel tips
For the business travel industry, the annual Global Business Travel Association (GBTA) Convention presents an opportunity for networking, learning and launching new products and services. This year’s event will be held in Denver on July 16-20, and is expected to be the largest, most comprehensive gathering of business travel and meetings managers, meeting planners, procurement professionals and suppliers in the world.
With the convention only a month away, we thought we’d share some tips about traveling to Denver.
Before you go:
Check the weather and pack accordingly. Temperatures range from the highs in the 80s to lows in the 50s, and sporadic rain showers are common in the afternoon during summer months.
When you land:
Travel from Denver International Airport (DIA) to downtown Denver is approximately 40-45 minutes by car, or 37 minutes by commuter rail.
- Taxis: Pickup and drop-off from the Jeppesen Terminal, Level 5, Island 1, outside doors 505, 507, 511 (Terminal East) and Doors 506, 510, and 512 (Terminal West). The flat rate charges to downtown Denver is $55.57. (source)
- Other options: Uber and Lyft are only able to pick-up passengers at the Westin Denver International Airport on the left side of level 1.
- University of Colorado A Line Commuter Rail: To catch the commuter rail, look for signs for Transit Center and proceed to the south end of the main terminal on Level 5. Tickets can be purchased for $9 at the ticketing machines located on the train platform. The ticketing machines accept cash or credit cards. (source)
After the conference:
Have some time before your flight back or thinking about extending your trip? Colorado is a great place to explore, with lots of activities. If you’re staying in Denver, consider the following:
- For dining and shopping check out 16th Street Mall or Larimer Square. Both are about a 10 minute walk from the Colorado Convention Center.
- Lower Downtown, or LoDo, is located in Denver’s historic district. LoDo offers more than 20 art galleries, nearly 100 restaurant and bars, and dozens of retail business. If you want to get the true Denver experience, make sure to check out LoDo! You won’t be disappointed.
- Love music? Take in a free show at the City Park bandstand by the Pavilion. Every Sunday night in June and July offers an open-air jazz club.
- The Colorado Rockies play at Coors Field, just 1.4 miles away from the Colorado Convention Center. The Rockies will be at home playing the Tampa Bay Rays and Atlanta Braves on July 20-24.
Want to get out of town? Take a road trip to one of these spots (distances are from the Colorado Convention Center):
- Red Rocks Amphitheatre – 16.4 miles
- Golden – 15. 3 miles
- Boulder – 29.4 miles
- Colorado Springs – 70.6 miles
- Breckenridge – 81 miles
- Vail – 97.1 miles
- Steamboat – 156 miles
- Aspen – 159 miles
Going to GBTA? Visit Carlson Wagonlit Travel at booth 1018. Learn more here.